Pages

27 May 2011

Gluten FreeTamale Pie!

I made this "shepard's pie" style where you make a filling and add a "crust". I'll definitely be making it again and SOON!!! It seems like a lot of ingredients, but I keep all these spices on hand. I can't use pre mixed taco seasoning because it has flour in it.. big no-no on the GF diet!



For the filling:
  • 2 lbs chicken breast or 
  • 1/2 medium onion
  • 3 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp dry thyme
  • 1/2 tsp dry rosemary
  • 1 tsp  sea salt
  • 1 Tbsp Cumin
  • 1 can corn, drained
  • 1 can black beans, drained
  • 1-1.5 c favorite salsa, depending on how moist you want it

For the Topping:
  • 2 c Masa Harina
  • 1/2 Tbsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 cups broth (I used chicken)
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened to room temp (i used 1/2 salted, 1/2 unsalted)
  • 1/2 tsp rosemary
  • 1/2 Tbsp Cumin
  • 2 cups mexican blend shredded cheese
Preperation:

  1. Preheat oven to 350.
  2. Pulse chicken & onion to a coarse grind in food processor.
  3. Heat oil in skillet over medium heat.
  4. Add chicken mixture and spices. Cook thouroughly, breaking into pieces.
  5. Meanwhile make tamale topping by combining dry ingredients in a dry bowl.
  6. Add broth and stir (or beat on low) until mixed.
  7. Beat butter in until thoroughly mixed then set aside. It will be thick.
  8. When Chicken is cooked, stir in corn and beans.
  9. Put filling in a 9x13" pan sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
  10. Spoon tamale topping over filling then spread out. (I wound up using my fingers which was messy but easier!!)
  11. Bake uncovered at 350 for minutes.
  12. Top evenly with shredded cheese and back another 15 minutes.

We topped with chopped onion and a drizzle of ranch dressing ( I forgot to buy sour cream!!!) but it was just as good stealing nibbles with no toppings! This is the first GF recipe I made for myself so I am really excited! I hope you like it!!


NOTE ABOUT FLOURS USED: This one I only use the Masa Harina. All ground corn with a hint of lime, no "flour" types. Originally I used a cornbread mix for this that was corn meal and traditional flour. I must say I wish I had tried this a long time ago. It is SO MUCH BETTER!!!!!

Until later! Anne Marie

1 comments:

Staceroo said...

That looks awesome! Now I'm hungry.

...
© 2010-2012 Dreamer's Alcove by Anne M. Freitas. Powered by Blogger.