Pages

16 February 2011

Homemade Vegetable Broth

I've been doing a lot of research about fresh broths for this anti-inflammatory diet so I can create yummy soups & grains without adding chicken broth like I did in the seven bean & barley soup. I also don;t like mushrooms which is what a lot of recipes suggest for flavor, so today i went out & got my own fixins!  Here is what I used (as much organic as possible:
  • 1 ginormous Magnalite pot
  • 1 medium yellow squash (sliced thin in food processor)
  • 1 medium zuccini (sliced thin in food processor)
  • 3 large carrots (sliced thin in food processor)
  • 3 leek TOPS - bottoms reserved for a leek soup! (washed)
  • 1 baseball sized onion (sliced thin in food processor)
  • 2 parsnips (sliced thin in food processor)
  • 1 large head of garlic, whole
  • 1 bunch of parsley STEMS
  • 1/3-1/2 bag of pre-washed kale (enough to fill pot)
  • 1 tsp sea salt
  • 1 tsp dry rosemary
  • 1 tsp dry thyme
  • 1tsp ground tumeric (JUST BOUGHT THIS TODAY AND L-O-V-E IT!!!)
  • Water to fill pot


Just bring to a boil then lower heat just to simmering until all veggies get tender and start to fall apart. I intend to get some large twist top freezable containers soon, but for now it is cooled and frozen in quarts in zip lock bags.


I also popped the garlic head out and squashed it with my spoon and threw it back in after it got tender, and I used some to make my quinoa tonight (recipe soon!) and added more water to return to simmer before turning it off to cool.

You may notice that there are a few "bits & pieces" added.. well that is the point of stock! Save all the veggie ends, peelings if you don't use them, stems & "inedible" parts that are still flavorful & healthy. PUt them in a large freezer bag until you have a large amount and throw it all in a pot with water & seasonings to make a broth.

You can do this with bones for animal stock and peelings/sink for seafood stock also.

I'm starting from scratch so I had a lot of whole ingredients, but I will be starting my "broth bag" in the freezer tomorrow.


Photobucket

0 comments:

...
© 2010-2012 Dreamer's Alcove by Anne M. Freitas. Powered by Blogger.