Pages

09 February 2010

Yes, I am a real Southern girl. No, I do not like my greens.

Yes, I am a TRUE Southern girl. No, I do not like my greens. Sorry, Granny Maw.

I was recently discussing the benefits of greens with my husband (who has recently become a work out guru and is loving his new physique...as am I **wowzers**) The problem is that I don't like most greens. Real greens.. not just green food. Spinach, Kale, collard, mustard greens. I can toss a few baby spinach leaves in my salad, and served in foods that have flavor, I can eat it cooked. That is why this family (other than Lili, the guinea pig, who will eat any green) rarely gets greens.

If you have followed the blog, you may remember this recipe that had even my friend's children yumming on spinach. The pic however is Kaelyn LOL! I tryu to sneak it in when they aren't looking but now they all know I do it and they eat it.

So today I created a green soup. Yes, green. And it is sooooo good! I added about 5 oz of frozen spinach, which in the spinach world is quite a bit. It takes a LOT of spinach to make a pound because it wilts so much.

try this.. with or without the spinach. either way you will not be disappointed.


Mom's Diner Original - Green Soup
  • 2 tbsp oil
  • 3 medium carrots diced
  • 1 cup frozen Seasoning Blend
  • 2 medium boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into bite size pieces
  • 3 medium potatoes, washed, peeled, & diced
  • 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
  • 6 oz frozen corn (1/2 12 oz bag)
  • 6 oz frozen peas (1/2 12 oz bag)
  • 5 oz frozen spinach (1/2 1o oz block)
  • 2 cups frozen chopped broccoli or florets
  • 1/2 tsp dry rosemary
  • 1/4 tsp dry basil
  • Salt, pepper, Tony's seasoning to taste
OPTIONAL
  • 1/2 cream or 2% milk
  • 4 oz fat free cream cheese (1/2 8 oz block)
  1. Heat oil in a soup pot and saute' carrots & Seasoning Blend until tender.
  2. Add chicken and saute' until opaque.
  3. Add potatoes and chicken broth and simmer until potatoes begin to get tender then add frozen vegetables, herbs, & seasonings.
  4. Simmer 30-45 minutes until chicken and potatoes are fully cooked through and vegetables have warmed through.
  5. If you wish, put optional ingredients (cream & cream cheese) in microwave for 1-2 minutes to warm & soften. Briskly whisk together and add in just before serving (use a seive if you don;t like little bits of floating cream cheese. the fat free doens;t melt is quite as readily as original).
  6. DO NOT BOIL AFTER ADDING THESE INGREDIENTS.
Serve with garlic toast or crackers (if you forget the toast like I did)
Side note: Keebler Garlic Butter Club Crackers are to DIE for!

0 comments:

...
© 2010-2012 Dreamer's Alcove by Anne M. Freitas. Powered by Blogger.