Pages

03 June 2011

And in the mornin.. I'm making (gluten-free) WAFFLES!!!

Yes, I know.. Donkey..Shrek. Everytime waffles are mentioned in this house... EVERY TIME.. someone yells out that quote, and now I am tagging them gluten-free because I found the PERFECT recipe in the Complete Gluten-Free Diet and Nutrition Guide that I borrowed from the library.

Gluten-Free Waffles!
What a break from the gluten free cereals I've been having!!

Here is the recipe found on page 147 of the book. It is a little labor intensive, and Halie threatened to make me wash the dishes since it uses seperate bowls toprepare, but they are TOTALLY worth it!


Breakfast, Brunch, or Dessert Waffles
Makes 6 waffles - 1 serving each (or 5 if you have my huge waffle iron)

TIP: Make a double batch, layer between sheets of parchment paper, wrap and freeze for up to one month!

Ingredients:

  • 3/4 c white rice flour (I used brown because I had it and it worked fine)
  • 1/4 c sorghum flour
  • 1/4 cup potato starch
  • 1/4 c ground flax seeds (or flaxseed meal)
  • 1TBSP baking powder (check your label! this isn't always GF!)
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 2 eggs, separated
  • 2 cups milk of choice ( I used vanilla almond)
  • 1/4 cup grapeseed oil (worth the investment!!!
Directions:
  1. Preheat waffle iron.
  2. In a large bowl, using a whisk, combine all dry ingredients until streak free.
  3. In another bowl whisk together egg YOLKS (only), milk, and oil until mixed.
  4. Stir into flour mixture until well blended.
  5. In a small DRY bowl, using an electric mixer, beat egg whites until stiff.
  6. Fold egg whites into batter until just blended then LET SIT for 5 minutes.
  7. Brush waffle iron with grapeseed oil then pour about 3/4 cup batter into wells, close, and cook until golden brown. 
  8. Lightly stir batter between batches as needed.

The book says 3 minutes but mine took closer to 6 to get the browning done. Unbrowned was still a soft "normal textured" waffle, but the browning gave it a slightly crisp top.

I tell you we are in love! The kids each ate a whole waffle and my maker makes HUGE waffles. I had already given George the first two, and if I had been willing to give mine away they'd have ate it too! Tomorrow will be a first repeat of any GF "breads" type recipe I've made.

Note: NO XANTHAN GUM in the recipe!! I found online (and can't find the link) that though xanthan is used to give GF breads their chewy and not dry texture, flax can do the same. I like the nutty flavor it gives these, and it is much more budget friendly than xanthan gum!


Until later! Anne Marie

0 comments:

...
© 2010-2012 Dreamer's Alcove by Anne M. Freitas. Powered by Blogger.