Pages

27 June 2011

Gluten-Free Cornbread Recipe

My husband loves cornbread with his chili. I prefer crackers, Well a wheat free girl only has so many options. I'm not ready to try my hand at crackers yet so I opted for a GF cornbread...






since I usually steal a slice (with a huge pat of real butter) anyway! This time I got the first one and it is SO light & fluffy!! I think it's better than making it the "normal" way!







Gluten Free Cornbread Recipe

Ingredients
  • 1/2 c Brown Rice Flour
  • 1/2 c Sorghum Flour
  • 1 c GF Corn Meal (optional : use Masa*)
  • 1/4 c Sugar
  • 1 Tbsp. Baking Powder
  • 3/4 tsp Salt
  • 1/4 c Melted Butter
  • 1 1/4 c Milk
  • 3 large or 2 jumbo eggs
  • 1 Tbsp butter
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. If using a cast iron skillet as your baking dish, put in oven while preheating.
  2. Whisk all dry ingredients in a dry bowl until well combined.
  3. Add in wet ingredients and stir until just combined.
  4. When oven preheats, drop the separate pat of butter into the cast iron or into your 8-9" round cake pan. Return either pan to oven for 3 minutes to melt butter.
  5. When butter melts, swirl around the edges of the pan to coat, then pour in batter.
  6. Bake  at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until it a toothpick in center tests clean. 
NOTE: It seemed to me that this cornbread, though DELICIOUS, did not last as long as a traditional cornbread. I can generally leave that stuff on the counter, covered in foil or in a baggie for a week and we'll still eat it LOL! But this went off about 3 days later. If you have a lot left over, I suggest refrigerator storage.


* Since I served this cornbread with chili so I went with Masa for a slightly Tex-Mex flair. I also used Masa to thicken my chili and it came out GREAT!

Until later! Anne Marie

0 comments:

...
© 2010-2012 Dreamer's Alcove by Anne M. Freitas. Powered by Blogger.