I am finally getting the hang of this!!! I wanted carrot cake! I LOVE CARROT CAKE! But I wasn't crazy about some of the ingredients I found in the GF recipes online... mainly xanthan gum that I am staying away from on the principle that it's expensive and I can't pronounce it... and coconut??? Uhm.. ew? I also don;t like raisins in my carrot cake and George doesn't like nuts in his breads/brownies/cakes so this is also without those but walnuts are traditionally added (3/4-1c).
Hopefully you remember (and have tried!) the last post about gluten-free waffles that I raved over. I made them again and they came out just as yummy! I really liked the texture so I based the flours for this recipe on that one.
Gluten-Free Carrot Cake Cupcakes with Sour Cream Frosting
- 1/4 c finely ground flax seeds
- 1/4 c grapeseed oil (or any light oil)
- 3/4 c. rice flour (I used brown.)
- 1/4 sorghum flour
- 1/4 c. potato starch
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon (or 3/4 cinnamon & 1/4 nutmeg)
- 3/4 c firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup apple sauce
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups finely shredded carrots
- 8 oz sour cream
- 1 stick salted butter, softened to room temp
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 3/4-2c powdered sugar
- Frosting first: Beat sour cream, butter, & vanilla until well combined then mix in powdered sugar until just shy of a spreadable consistency then put it in the fridge while cupcakes bake & cool.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small cup whisk together flax seeds and oil. SET ASIDE for 5 minutes.
- In a dry bowl, combine rice flour, sorghum flour, potato starch, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
- In another bowl, beat together: brown sugar, eggs, and flax/oil mixture until well combined.
- Add applesauce, vanilla, and carrots to sugar mixture. Stir until combined.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Divide evenly into cupcake tins sprayed with non-stick cooking spray or lined with liners.
- Bake for 20 minutes and allow to cool in tins for 10 minutes before removing to wire rack to cool completely.
- Remove frosting from refrigerator and stir. Frost as you prefer.
Of course I wasn't complaining!
Three YUMMY ways to enjoy these:
Fresh out the oven..... split and double the frosting... or topped with sprinkles (but ONLY if you're a princess!)