I overcome this in a few ways.
- Something inedible but homemade (with store bought touches) and
- WRAP IT!
- Something edible but..
- WRAP IT!
Most hostesses will hate to stand there in the entry way as guests are pouring in opening a gift, at the least it leaves her hands full unable to greet and at the worst it makes her seem greedy for the gift.
A few things that make good gifts that are unsharable?
1. Bath & body products - I'm not talking about those horrid gift sets that you get for $10 at the store (though if you must, it is better than nothing). I have started making my own all natural bath scrubs, rubs, and soaks. I love it and I have not heard one word of complaint! (Ability to purchase coming soon! EEeek!)
2. Decadent baked/kitchen goods that are too yummy to share.. but in small amounts so they don;t feel like you're trying to make them fat! 3-4 nicely wrapped pieces of fudge, brownies, cookies, etc. If it is a couple hosting, do a multi-treat gift with 2 pieces of each goodie.
3. If you don't have time for any of that, try a gift cards to a local spa. They normally start in low denominations. You don't have to foot the whole bill. Most people would rather pay half than not be able to go at all. If you don;t have a local spa or think it is too much, how about a pedicure gift card at a shop near her home?
4. Don;t have money to spend? A simple thank you card (try hand-making one?) is enough to show that they are appreciated.
After all, isn't that better than all the riches in the world?