Pages

08 May 2009

Why I'm here and Today's Menu

Stay at home moms, working moms, college moms, single moms, married moms, moms in waiting, and moms in dreaming... we all have one thing in common that has to be done daily....

We all have to eat!!!!!!!!!!!!

And someone has to put that food on the table..
usually us!

I have a family of 4 and a small budget. I'm a stay at home/work part time from home/full time college student mom. We have one income and though DH does well, food usually
isn't our splurge. We do try to eat out at least once or twice per pay period just to give me a break if nothing else. And we do hit the staples, hot dogs, pizzas (we make those at home and they're SOOOOOO much better!) burgers (though I try to jazz that up too!) We just like to have fun with our food.

I create a menu every two weeks, with a shopping list, and we eat off that until the next pay period. It's not as hard as you think! After I finish this pay period's menu I'll post that too with the cost so you can see how I do it.

I try to bring a minimum of 4 new recipes to the menu per week. That is getting harder and harder as we find new favorites that everyone requests to be on the menu, but I try.





Menu:
Baked Pork Chops (1 1/2 lb @ less than $2/lb)
Foil baked corn on the cob (6 pk $2)
Sauteed Squash (4/$2)
Mashed Potatoes (2 servings @ less than 50¢ serving)
Garlic Bread (1/2 of a $2 box)
One of my more expensive meals
about $9 total or about $2.25 per serving
(Fresh veggies are still a little out of season so they cost more.
This will go down to soon when the squash and fresh corn hit 4-6/$1)
- - - AND - - -
There was a full serving to send to work with hubby for lunch!!
Wouldn't the ppl at work be jealous to see you show up with this??


No this isn't my plate.. it's the hubby's... mine has no taters :-)


Sauteed squash and mashed potatoes anyone can do so I won't bore you. Whatever your favorite is however you like to do it. The Garlic bread was boxed/frozen I just followed the directions, LOL!

For the pork I defrosted the chops and stabbed then with a fork. I know some foodies will die here but I like to get the marinade IN them faster.

Marinade:


  • 1/2 c Italian dressing
  • 1/8 c A-1 (yes the steak sauce)
  • 1 tsp Herbs d' Provence (you can get it at most stores, if not use Italian seasoning)
Mix all in a zipper bag and shove 4 - 1" chops in. I marinated them for about an hour.


Corn:


  • 4-6 ears of corn (I use frozen out of season)
  • butter or margarine
  • salt, pepper, garlic powder to taste
  • 1 Foil sheet per ear
This one is easy. On the foil put a pat of butter, seasonings, corn, roll and seal ends.

Preheat oven to about 35o°.

On your grill pan (so any fat falls away), bake the chops for about 25 minutes then flip for an additional 20 or so until they're done.

The corn can go on a pan in oven at the same time. I prefer this over tossing them on the rack because it catches any butter that escapes.

Voila! A meal!

Hope you enjoy the first installment!

Anne Marie

2 comments:

Mary said...

This sounds great, I am going to have to try the menu especially the corn. It looks great.

unwrittenkitten said...

Found your link through TMP. I love this idea! I look forward to future menus and budgets. I have to get back to updating my journal, but I like to include recipes in mine as well. So maybe we can learn some new ones from each other!

~A new reader

...
© 2010-2012 Dreamer's Alcove by Anne M. Freitas. Powered by Blogger.