Another of Jonni's meals today, Enchilito, and this one really was a budget saver because I had refried beans & homemade cheese sauce in the freezer from last week.
I turned a bottle of ketchup from the pantry to into a bottle of taco sauce a few days ago (because I knew this recipe was coming up and I didn't have any....) I made a mess of the kitchen but it turned out ok, though a little thicker & sweeter than you'd think of a taco sauce... I think next time I'll try tomato sauce or canned tomato juice. I'll update you on that one when I get it right.
About 12¢ ber Enchilito or 48¢ per serving using my frozen things!! Just about $1 per serving using all store bought... still a HUGE bargain!
We went the microwave route and it was great.
- 1 lbs ground meat ( I used taco flavored turkey burger)
- 1/4 c flour
- 1 t chili powder
- 1/3 c diced onion
- 4 cloves of pressed garlic
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/2 c water
- 16 oz refried beans
- 16 eight inch flour tortillas
- 1 1/2 c taco sauce
- 1 1/2 c grated cheese
- Brown ground meat and drain.
- Add next five ingredients, and mix well.
- Add water and simmer 8-10 minutes until creamy.
- Warm beans.
- Put 3 T beans and 3 T beef on a tortilla and roll up.
- Arrange folded side down cover with sauce and cheese Microwave or bake until cheese is melted.