Chicken Barley Soup
Time till serving: approximately 1 hour
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic (2-3 cloves)
- 1 tsp dry basil
- 1 tsp original Mrs. Dash
- 1/8 tsp cayenne (*optional)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2TBSP olive oil
- 1 lb boneless skinless -chicken breast, diced small or chopped in processor (leave it out and it's a great vegetarian dish!)
- 1 qt chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 can (14.5 oz) petite diced tomatoes
- 1/3 c barley
- 2 handfuls snap peas, snapped into bite sized pieces
- 1 can white beans (cannoli, great northern, etc), do not drain
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled & diced
- water, as needed
- Saute onion, carrots, celery, garlic, dry herbs, and seasonings in olive oil over medium heat.
- When onions become transparent (5-10 minutes) add chicken and cook until opaque.
- Add in broth, tomatoes, and barley. Bring to a boil.
- Add water as needed to keep it approximately 1" above the ingredients.
- Reduce to a simmer, cover loosely with a lid, and stir occasionally for 40 minutes.
- Add peas, beans, and potatoes and return to simmer for 20 minutes or until potatoes and barley are tender. (Barley will have a little "chew" to it,)
You'll love it, I promise!
Check it out!